Monday, August 23, 2010

Mt. Kobau Bike Adventure





Yesterday was my longest bike ride ever - from the top of Mount Kobau (near Osoyoos) to Oliver.













Data from the trusty Garmin:

Distance 32.3 km

Elevation gain 157 m
Elevation loss 1,680 m
Time 5 hours 8 minutes (that is the total time)
Moving time 2 hours 24 minutes
Average speed 6.2 km
Average moving speed 13.3 km
Maximum speed 68.6 km/hr
WHAT!!! That is absolutely crazy. I knew I was flying down the hill but I never imagined I was going that fast. I definitely will be slowing down on any further bike trips because that is just way too fast.

There was a group of 9 of us and some had done the trip a couple of years ago. We were relying on those who had done it previously to be able to lead the way but even with the maps, we were led astray a couple of times.

I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew that we would be doing a lot of downhill but I didn't think there would be as much uphill as there was. I don't have much experience mountain biking on rough trails so it was a bit of stretch for me to get up the hills. I ended up pushing my bike up quite a few of the hills at the beginning but by the end I was starting to the hang of where to choose my trail, to stay away from the ruts and the loose rock. It was also physically challenging to get up some of those hills and to those who just breezed up them, you certainly have my admiration and I hope that one day I too will be able to breeze up them.

The downhill was a little scary at times, especially in the rougher sections of the trail where there was lots of ruts and loose rock. I'm glad Tim took my bike in for servicing last week and had my brakes fixed because boy, oh boy, did I need those brakes. By the end of the day my hands were so sore from gripping the brakes so hard. However, I became more comfortable going down the hills and was soon going down a little faster each time.

The first part of the trail was quite rough and slow going but it eventually became more of forestry road than a trail and then we were moving a little faster. Once we hit Old Fairview Road (unpaved road but in good condition), that's when we started to fly. I had to slow down to go around the corners and getting over those cattle guards was a little tricky, but on those straight stretches....

Tim took a few pictures but I am hoping to get some group photos from someone and hopefully will be able to post those later.




From left to right
Liz, Mary, me















Glen and me - What a view!


After the trip, just before our tasty dinner at the Indian restaurant in Oliver.

3 comments:

  1. Laurie, what an amazing adventure. You are a daredevil doing 63 km coming down a hill - but I bet you had fun!

    I just started mountain biking last month (although the park I was in is nothing compared to where you are) -I ended up falling twice- had some cuts and bruises - but I felt so alive out on that trail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 68.6 km!!! Young lady, don't you have breaks!?!

    You look, and are, a road warrior! I can't even imagine being brave enough to tackle something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurie that is amazing. What an adventure! Good for you for just going for it! Love all the details you got from your Garmin. That's great to have that feedback. Beautiful country! :)

    ReplyDelete