Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Moab Boot Camp - Final Chapter

Shop Hard

We decided that we would arrange our trip so that we could spend the last half day or so in Missoula, Montana shopping. That did not mean that I didn't do any shopping prior to that. Besides having a favourite restaurant in Moab, I also have a favourite store - Gearheads.

Gearheads is an outdoor store that sells everything you might need (and want) for camping, canoeing and hiking and it was conveniently located right beside our hotel (and it opened at 8 a.m. so I could drop in there on my way to pick up coffee and baked goods, scope out what I want and then go back and purchase it later.) We ended up dropping some serious dollars here. Tim discovered his thermarest had a leak so we needed to get a new one. We ended up getting a thermarest NeoAir Sleeping pad and although it was Tim's thermarest that had the leak, I ended up being the lucky one to use the NeoAir. I think it was the most comfortable I have ever been camping. On the old thermarest, I would have to turn over every hour or so because my hips were sore but on the NeoAir, I woke up in the same position I was in when I went to bed. Besides the thermarest, I purchased some hiking socks, a 2L camelbak resevior, a camelbak drying kit, a head lamp and Tim also picked up a couple of things for the canoe trip.



We got to Missoula in the early afternoon, found a hotel, got some dinner and headed out to do some shopping. We first went to Ross Dress for Less and I was very disappointed in that I couldn't really find anything. I found a pair of jeans and camisole and when I went to try them on, who was coming out of the change room with an armload of clothes. You guessed it, Mr. I Hate Shopping. He spent more at that store than I did (but then again, I only spent $15 and got the jeans and camisole).
Right next to Ross Dress for Less was this REI (Recreational Equipment Inc.) store which was like a very small version of Mountain Equipment Coop. Their stuff wasn't cheap but they had some nice things. Let's just say my American Express got a workout here. Across the street was a Target and I was a little disappointed there too. However, I still managed to find a few shirts and socks. We also hit WalMart where I found some PowerAde Zero (and I bought a few cases) and a beautiful sparkly bracelet.














I must say, Tim was extremely patient and didn't make me feel like I had to rush at all (even though I kept him out until 10 p.m.) I think he was a little tired of shopping at the end but I didn't hear one complaint from him. I have to admit, even I was a little tired of shopping but if we had more time, I'm sure I would have gotten my second wind!

Well, that's it. The final chapter of Moab Boot Camp. However, I am hoping it is not the final chapter as I would love to go back there again.

1 comment:

  1. Shopping and the outdoors. I am seriously considering a trip out there. I still have my thermarest from my travels in the Yukon/NWT years ago, but that Neoair style looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete