This picture was just before the final game, which explains why we aren't all sweaty and our hair still looks good. It was a fun weekend - a great group of women, 4 games of hockey and lots of laughs.
The only unfortunate incident was that one of our players ended up being taken to the hospital by ambulance. A couple of the teams we played were made up of younger women (girls really) who play a more physical game. I don't mind being pushed around on the ice, but I do mind if someone sticks their stick between my legs and hauls me down to the ice, or grabs my stick and doesn't let go. I'm probably 15-20 years older than most of the players on the other teams and have a quarter of the skill they have so that kind of play really isn't necessary. I end up on the ice a lot on my own, I don't need help getting there. It was near the end of our final game and my team mate was hit, ended up whacking her head on the ice and was out cold. I was on the ice at the time but didn't see the hit, only her laying there after. It was pretty scary. She definitely has a concussion and I'm sure will have one doozy of a headache and backache for a while.
After 2 games of hockey Saturday and 2 games on Sunday I was tired, but still felt pretty good. I decided I felt good enough to still go to women's drop in hockey in West Kelowna Sunday night. What was I thinking?? There were only 6 women there so playing 3 on 3 was brutal. Well, it was more like 3 on 2 because I was useless! But, it was still fun.
I love your enthusiasm for the game!
ReplyDeleteI truly love this post. I wanted to play hockey since I was a kid but my Dad didn't think it was a game for girls. I played road hockey all summer long, and on the pond by my house, but the closest I got to the game was working at Maple Leaf Gardens for 15yrs. I applaud you for getting out there and playing hard :)
ReplyDelete