Thursday, April 28, 2011

What Did I Do In April?

Hard to believe that May is just around the corner and I look back at the month of April and question myself as to what I actually accomplished. It must be an age thing because I can barely remember what I did yesterday!

I bought a new bike (or did I do that in March?) Tim and I had some money set aside for when I reach lifetime member status at Weight Watchers (which was back in December) and I have been thinking and thinking about what to get. Originally I was thinking a ring but I was able to get my jade ring that Tim brought back from Thailand resized and I don't think I would find a ring I like more than this one. I like riding my bike to work when the weather is good but I don't do it very often simply because I have to store my bike in the basement and it is just too darn heavy for me to carry up and down the stairs. I've wanted a lighter bike for a couple of years and it came to me, why don't I use the money to buy a new bike. I got a Specialized Myka and it is so light I can easily carry it down the stairs or throw it in the back of the truck. The seat is little too small and hard so I'd like to get a new seat (or see if my old one will fit on it) but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

We also took a trip down to the coast for the Sun Run. We both took Friday off work and went down to spend a day with Lisa before the run on Sunday. We had a great visit with her and Frank and also got to meet Frank's parents. They seem like very nice people and are very supportive of Lisa and the baby (their first grandchild too.) Frank is a big family man and is very close to his parents and sister and knowing that they are there for Lisa eases my mind about her being so far away. I'm sure if she ever needed anything, they would be right there to help. Lisa came back with us to Penticton after the race for a visit and it was a great visit. Frank came up to Penticton on his own the day before so they were both here. Tim put Frank to work in the orchard pounding posts and I give him a lot of credit. I only had to help Tim put in a few posts and that was enough for me but he was out there for a long time pounding posts.

While in Vancouver we went to the Canucks store (boy was it busy) and stopped at Mountain Equipment Coop. I got a "This is what we live for" 2011 Canucks playoff shirt and at MEC we bought a new tent so I think we are all set for backpacking.


Our friends Glenda and Eric (Sun Run, Bugaboos, Heather Trail) met us at MEC and we all went out for dinner (Lisa too) to this great Thai restaurant on Robson St. Our hotel (Sandman) this year was much closer to the start and finish of the run, which was a lot more convenient than the hotel we stayed in last year. I think this hotel is now the official hotel for any future Sun Run weekend adventures.

The run went well. I beat my time from last year by a couple minutes and I certainly felt much better this year after I was done than last year. It was nuts crossing the finish line. I guess someone ahead of us had collapsed and it caused this huge jam of people. It must have taken us a couple of minutes to go the last 20 meters. And yes, I did take this into account for my final time. I had my Garmin on and I stopped it as soon as I couldn't move anymore and then added a few seconds. Next year I hope to go even faster!


I watched a lot of hockey this month. Well maybe some would think it a lot of hockey but I think it is just the right amount and I am so very glad (and relieved!) that the Canucks made it to the second round. The second round starts tonight and I'll have at least 4 more Canucks games to watch. I joined Tim's hockey pool at work and am very proud to say that I am in second place. Tim is tied for 11th place and he's been complaining that I copied off of him. If I did copy of him, wouldn't you expect Tim to be doing as good, if not better than me. Maybe next year I'll let him copy off of me. Now watch me plummet to the bottom in the standings after bragging about my stellar picks. As long as the Canucks stay in it, I should be able to remain high in the standings but if they get knocked out, I won't have a chance.

2 comments:

  1. *cough,cough* congrats on the Canucks winning round 1. I am cheering them on as well even though I will always have Toronto Maple Leaf blue, running through my veins (OMG did I say that out loud!!!)

    Congrats on a fun filled, and exciting month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the SunRun and the new bike!

    And I'm glad your mind is eased by meeting the new in-laws :)

    It's always good to have a handy son-in-law around!

    ReplyDelete