Sunday, March 21, 2010

Tournament Winners!

My team played in a hockey tournament in Princeton on March 13 and 14 and came away the winners. We played 3 games (including the final) and won all 3. I scored a goal in the first game and in the final.

Hard to believe hockey season is winding down. I've been playing twice a week, Tuesday and Saturday nights and there is only a few nights left. Next Saturday night I get to play with (or against) Tim. I've played with him a couple of times but I don't think I have ever been on his team. Starting in April there is a hockey camp for women in West Kelowna on Sunday nights until the middle of May that I'm planning on going to. I went to the camp last year (the first time I ever played hockey!) and found it very valuable. The instructor was great. We would spend half the time working on skill development and the other half scrimmaging (I still have a lot of work to do on my skills.)

However, there has been improvement in this past year. I can now stop, skate backwards, turn around while going forward and then skate backwards, and can almost do backwards crossovers. (I couldn't do any of these a year ago.) I can do backwards crossovers but could never do them in a game situation because I have to concentrate really hard and I just go around in circles!

The 5 km run the weekend before went really well. I was able to run the whole thing but probably should have stuck to the walk/run training I was supposed to be doing for the Sun Run Clinic. I ended up with a very sore knee and have been having problems ever since. And then my calf started bothering me. The doctor said it is just from overuse, that I couldn't do it all and it would be best if I gave up one of the activities for a while. Well, let's see... running or hockey. Didn't have to think hard about that. For now, I'll be taking a break from running and see how it is in a couple of weeks.





The weather here is certainly spring-like. Tim's busy with the orchard and the bees and I did some spring cleaning this past weekend (carpet cleaning). Not the weekend I had planned on having but the carpets do look nice. I think the nice sunny weather has helped the chickens with their egg production. We've been getting between 10-12 eggs a day. In the picture, the hen beside the rooster is one of our heritage breed girls (we have 2) and she lays blue eggs.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on winning your tournament, Laurie! How fantastic is that!! And getting to score goals in it as well! You really should be proud of your achievements!

    ReplyDelete