Sunday, May 9, 2010

Most Amazing Weekend!




This past weekend we went to the Sun Run in Vancouver with our friends. We arrived a little before lunchtime and went straight to Mountain Equipment Coop where we proceeded to put a huge dent in our bank account. I got a Gore-Tex jacket, a down liner, down filled booties, hiking poles and socks and a new bike jacket. Tim got a Gore-Tex jacket, a down filled vest, a new camping stove and some fuel. We also picked up a couple of freeze dried meals for our Bugaboo trip. Bugaboos here we come.

We then went to our hotel which was right on English Bay, close to Stanley Park. There was a bike rental place right across the street from our hotel so we rented some bikes and went for a ride through Stanley Park and then along the sea wall. It was great. It was warm and sunny and I had the best bike (now I want a new bike!)






Above in the picture is our friends Glenda and Eric.











In the morning we headed out to the Sun Run. It was about a 20 minute walk to the start and the start area was just jammed packed full of people. There were over 51,000 people in the race. The race started at 9 a.m. but we didn't actually start moving until after 10. It was a little hard dodging all the people - reminded me a lot of being in China.



















I knew with my hamstring and knee problems that I wouldn't be able to run the whole thing but decided I would try running 3 minutes and then walking 1 minute and see how long I could keep that up. I was able to keep it up for most of the race but near the end had to change it to run 2, walk 2 but we ran the entire last kilometer. I finished in 1:21:22 which is better than I had hoped for. We then had to walk back to our hotel which was about 30 minutes away so by the time I got back to the hotel, I was feeling pretty tired. This picture was taken at the start of the race so I was still looking and feeling pretty good. I'm not going to post the picture that was taken near the finish!

I had a good snooze in the truck on the way home and felt good enough to play hockey tonight. I didn't have much energy out there and it wasn't my finest playing, but I worked up a good sweat. You'd think after all the day's activity I would be tired tonight but no, here I am all pumped up. Hopefully the tiredness will kick in soon so I can get some sleep. I'm a little concerned about how my body will feel in the morning but that is what Tylenol 3 is for!

In all, this weekend was amazing and I am so glad my friend Glenda talked me into doing the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment