It is hard to believe that we have been back from vacation for 2 weeks. I figured I'd better get my Moab posts finished before I forget everything that we did!
The Amasa Back Trail (also known as the Cliffhanger!)
From the guide book - "The Amasa Back Trail is a jeep trail that climbs just over a thousand feet to a mesa top overlooking the Colorado River and the Kane Creek Anticline. The trail surface is mostly Kayenta Sandstone and has many small ledges (less than 1’) and a few bigger ones. Challenging and fun for experienced mountain bikers only a short bike ride from town."
We took a couple of trails that branch off from the Amasa Back (Pothole Arch, Rockstacker and Jackson Loop and made a loop.
Some of the views on the way up the Amasa Back.
Jackson Hole
Pothole Arch
And it was just as scary hiking it.!
At the very end of the hike you have to cross a small tributary of the Colorado and at certain times of the year, it can be quite dangerous. Before we started, I walked the trail backwards for a ways until I reached the river and could verify that yes, we would have no problems crossing it. Imagine my surprise when we get to that point on our way down and it is not the same spot I had already checked out. This river before us would have been very difficult to cross. There was a pipe crossing it and Tim took a few steps onto it and I knew I would not be able to do it. I figured there had to be another way, there was no way other people had crossed here (I don't know how you would carry your bike across.) I look to my right and I could see a worn path on the rock around this hollow. So we climbed up it, stepped carefully across, hopped up to this little trail and there it was, the path that I had seen that morning. I was a little tense though, there was no way I was going to be able to turn around and hike the whole thing back.
It was a tough day. I didn't have enough water and it was sunny and warm but the thought of the yummy Mexican restaurant kept me going. We had gone there the night before and had Moabs (Mother of all burritos) and they were delicious!
And yes, Tim did get a new hairdo in Moab from Norm the barber.
Arches National Park
We saved Arches for our last day because we had heard from so many people how spectacular it was and they were absolutely right.
There were quite a few hikes in the park so we tried to figure out which ones we would have time for and which ones had the most to see.
We started at the Devils Garden Trailhead and just as we arrived there, so did 3 buses full of high school students from Korea. It felt like being in China all over again with all the crowds!
The first arch we came across was the Landscape Arch. It is considered the longest natural arch in the world. Since 1991, three slabs of sandstone have fallen from the thinnest part of the arch. You can see the pile of rocks on the ground on the right side of the arch.
From Landscape Arch, we continued north up some large steep rocks until we reached a little trail that branched off to Navajo and Partition Arch.
The next arch on the trail was the Double O Arch. I found this part of the trail a little hairy as it was along the top of fins which to me, seemed very narrow. But again, they don't look that narrow in the pictures!
As you can see by my face, I am not enjoying this particular part of the hike. I think once Tim took the picture, I fell to my knees because my legs were shaking so much!
I look a little less scared in this picture. Maybe because there was only a drop off on one side!
From Double O Arch, it was a short hike to the Dark Angel.
We decided to take the Primitive Trail back Private Arch and the sign says it all. Of course, I didn't realize the sign said it all until we had gone about half way. At the beginning it wasn't too bad so I figured I must be an experienced hiker if they think this is difficult hiking. Boy, did I soon learn how not an experienced hiker I am.
This doesn't look all that bad.
Oh, wait a minute. What's this??? I actually made Tim come and walk beside me on the right so I could put my feet beside his so he could stop me if I slipped.
I was all ready tired from the earlier hike so I found this one to be quite the grunt. However, even in my tired (and Tim would probably add miserable) state, we still managed to pass quite a few people on the way up. I felt pretty good about that.
The last few arches we wanted to see were just short hikes, a couple of kilometers or less so we plugged away until we had seen everything we had wanted to see. There was still so much that we didn't have time for so I can foresee a future trip back to Moab.
North and South Window
Balancing Rock
I also have to mention the burger and fries I had for dinner at Ray's Tavern in Green River. It had to be the best burger I have had in a long time.
Two more chapters left of the Moab saga - Canoe Hard and Shop Hard.
Stay tuned!
Amazing pictures and amazing journey!
ReplyDeleteI feel a little a nervous just looking at some of those pictures, I don't do well with heights :)
Laurie, you are one amazing woman! I'm so proud of you and what you have accomplished! this trip was the perfect trip after all the hard work you put in over the summer and the goal that you reached. Can't wait to see the canoe and shopping photos and comments. Keep on keepin' on girl! - regards, Gail
ReplyDelete