It is very hard to believe that in the next 2 weeks or so, I will be a grandma to a beautiful (no doubt!) baby granddaughter. I've been practicing being nice to babies and small children over the past few months so I should be all set.
While Lisa was here for Tim's surgery, we were able to hold a baby shower for her. I was surprised she was so willing to let us do it because like me, she is a very introverted type of person (in a good way) and feels uncomfortable in groups of people, especially people who she doesn't know all that well and hasn't seen for a few years.
Thanks so much to everyone who attended: Linda, Heather, Gail, Nella, Rini, Theresa, Mike, Myrna, Bill, Ashley, Lorrie, Glenda, Sue and Val.
I always worry about events such as these because I'm afraid people will have a boring time. I even put on the invitations that it was Tim's mom that was holding the shower. That way if it was a bust, I could just blame her. (I really wouldn't have done that, I would have taken full responsibility.) However, it was so much fun. Everyone enjoyed themselves but most importantly, Lisa really enjoyed it and I think she was a little overwhelmed by how much all these people truly care for her.
We weren't going to have any silly baby games but I got to thinking about what were we going to do if we didn't have any games. I got Lisa's okay and I went to the dollar store and got a package of baby shower games. There was a name the baby animal. The adult name was in one column and you had to write the name of the baby in the other. (Example: Goat - kid, Dog - puppy). The other game was a word scramble. You were given a bunch of mixed up letters and you had to guess the name of the baby item (Example: tltobe - bottle) It was hilarious listening to everyone try to figure them out. Some of the them, I didn't have a clue. I had no idea these 2 little games could result in so much laughter. We also had a craft. I had bought some plain white onesies (like baby body suits) and some fabric markers and everyone got to decorate one. Lisa is going to have lots of onesies to use. It's a good job I got them in varying sizes.
Heather and Lisa. Heather told me later that she had a great time. In her words - "Some games, a craft and food, what more could she want in a party."
Gail and Lisa
The food was incredible. Linda brought some veggies and dip, I had put out some crackers, fruit and dip and Tim's mom had made the cake (which looked and tasted delicious.) But for Lisa and I, the most special thing on that table were cookies that were made by our very good friend Lorrie and she is probably one of the most caring people I have ever met. The cookies were in the shape of baby buggies, onesies (like baby body suits) and they were decorated beautifully.
The gifts were incredible and too numerous to mention. I know for sure that Lisa was very overwhelmed by everyone's generosity. I can honestly say that I haven't laughed as hard and as much in a long time as I did while Lisa was opening her gifts. Her "helper" Linda kept us all in stitches. I had tears running down my cheeks and I know I wasn't the only one.
Grandma (that would be me!) found the tiniest hockey skates. I hope to spend many hours on the ice with my granddaughter. They are now hanging in a shadow box on the wall in the nursery. There will come a time when I will be taking them off the wall and putting them on her feet. I figure if she can walk, she can learn to skate!
The following 2 pictures are my favourite from the evening. I'm sure Lisa won't like this one but for some reason I really like it. I think it is because she looks happy and relaxed. Linda made her wear the bow on her head. Lisa wasn't too happy about that in the beginning but I think it looks cute.
I think Linda has something about people wearing things on their heads! Notice the tears in Lisa's eyes. It was nice to see her laugh and have a good time.
Now we wait for the big arrival....
No comments:
Post a Comment